SWAFE Staff builds on a core team of proven experts to reduce risk and assure knowledge of SWAFE process and procedures. This reduces the risk to our customers by assuring SWAFE quality is delivered from the very start. The ongoing operations team is staffed with people who meet the requirements for each service level, adding more experienced and sophisticated people as the work grows more complex.
The Core staff is supported by staff experts who handle the non-daily issues, such as turnover, process improvement or specific technology issues. This includes experts in failure avoidance and mitigation, and Lean Six Sigma Black Belts for process excellence and statistic calculations.
SWAFE Training is an ongoing activity. We train our staff to the requirements of the job with initial and continuing education monthly. The staff is measured on their understanding at the end of the training and then as part of their ongoing responsibilities. Our goal is for our customers to have the best work force possible and SWAFE to fully meet our client’s expectations.
Training is also an important element for SWAFE. Our growth requires a constant flow of improving talent, and our training programs and opportunities help us to recruit and retain the best people. Training is a core imperative for SWAFE success.
Data Capture occurs one of two ways
- The traditional paper method. Secure and simple, this is the common method used across the industry. It is the least cost approach to capturing information. Reporting is then manually created on top of paper reports.
- Computer Database. Secure and robust, this allows data to be captured, reported and analyzed far faster and with more confidence than the paper manual method. SWAFE captures data at an agreed frequency based on need – by minute to by week – and can do it automatically as a direct feed into S-RAS® or by manually entering the data captured on paper documents.
Data Reporting occurs one of three ways
- For Paper based data capture, reports are manually created by typing in the needed data and using a program similar to Excel. This is normally done by our customers. The reports tend to be static so a pattern can be developed. Follow on data questions are quite possible but require research, time and cost.
- For SWAFE Silver Service®, Data Reporting comes from the computer database. SWAFE and the customer agree on a set of standard reports, already built into S-RAS®, that are produced and sent by email to the customer on a scheduled basis. The customer can get a database dump and then do further reporting on their own. All of these reports can be done in table or graphic format.
- For SWAFE Gold Service® and SWAFE Platinum Service®, the customer has direct access to the full reporting capabilities of S-RAS®. A comprehensive set of standard reports are customizable by time, locations and other parameters. In addition, Custom Reports can be created on any combination of parameters the customer chooses to see, on demand.
Customer Access to S-RAS® provides complete transparency and access to the full operational system SWAFE uses to track and report our operations in running a client’s facility. The customer can see status, check compliance and review open issues in real time, with the same data SWAFE is using to manage the facility in real time. For SWAFE, this complete transparency is central to how we view our relationship with our customers. We want our customers to have full knowledge, even of issues, for then we can all solve them faster and assure higher availability, reduced risk and lower cost for our customer’s facilities. Hiding problems does not solve them.
Go to Top
Failure Prevention and Recovery is where SWAFE reduces risk to your operation with enhanced processes and controls
- For Bronze and Silver
- Incident Reports are produced for each incident
- Failure response protocols are established
- For Gold and Platinum, the processes are much more robust
- Incident reports are enhanced with Root Cause Analysis to help them not happen again, at least from the same cause
- Failure Response Protocols are established and extended with more backup resource options
- Single Point of Failure Analysis identifies the biggest risks
- Drills, both scheduled and unscheduled, exercise the Failure Response Protocols, with ongoing improvements deployed. One of the most typical uncovered is in a drill is bad phone numbers.
- Audits, which assures the processes and documentation are in place, and the drills are both occurring and deficiencies are being corrected.
Data Analysis part of the Gold Service® and Platinum Service ®. It allows SWAFE to better understand various drivers in our customer’s facilities that can be adjusted to improve Efficiency, increase the Green Index® and lower cost through reduced electricity and other consumables.
Some of the items addressed are:
Go to Top
- Establishing Specification limits and keeping the operation with them. For example, maintaining the Chiller RAT within the optimal performance limits, or maintaining the Facility Efficiency Index® within internal targets for cost savings delivery.
- Statistical prediction of future failures allows us to view trends in the data and intercede where advanced mathematics tells us we can expect to see continued deviations from the norm that threaten to violate the specification limit. We them can understand the cause and intercede before the limit is violated.
- Visualizing data in a way that improves understanding. For example, in data centers we report temperatures by row, rack and level in the rack. We visualize that data by presenting it as a map color coded for temperature, so it is easy to see the hot and cold spots. This improves our analysis of this kind of “random” data so we can take action bring all of the facility into compliance by moving cooling to the hot spot, not increasing the cooling. We do the same analysis of RAT and Chiller output.
- Direct guidance based on analysis. For example, in data centers SWAFE will rank order the optimal rack location for a new server, considering space available, cooling capacity at the rack/zone and electrical load balancing across racks and rows. This takes the guesswork out of the question “Where should I put this next server?”.
Lower Cost through Green Improvements takes data we have analyzed and creates solutions that reduce electrical and other consumable consumption. The goal is to maintain the business without increased risk but remove inefficiencies. This is ultimately easy to measure very objectively. More efficient use of electricity, the largest savings opportunity, can be measure by changes in the electric and/or diesel bills.
SWAFE provides other measures that reflect industry best practice, using the Green Index for all facilities we manage, PUE/DCiE in Data Centers and SWAFE’s proprietary Facility Efficiency Index® in office buildings. This allows SWAFE to measure improvements in efficiency over time and against industry standards.
In all of these indices, the basic measure is what portion of total electrical use is used by the core equipment as opposed to all other uses. For example, in a data center the only power that has business value is for the servers; for office towers, it is for the Office IT equipment. The SWAFE goal is to reduce the non-business add power use to the minimum required through more efficient utilization.
SWAFE’s unique value to our customers is how to reduce the electricity use AND implement/maintain the savings. Generally this activity is split between consultants, an implementation team and ongoing operations. As soon as a new server is placed in a data center, for example, the lowest paid employee is told to put it into a rack. With no guidance, they place it in the most convenient location without reference to cooling or load balancing requirements. And the savings begin to fade away.
SWAFE Technical and Soft Services. SWAFE offers a full range of technical and soft services to manage entire facilities. At a high level, these cover:
Go to Top Back To Services
- Technical Services
- Staff, Training and Support Team/Tools to operate a customer facility with minimal risk 24 x 7 x 365.
- SWAFE’s proprietary S-RAS® software tracks, reports and analyzes the SWAFE operations is a customer facility. Customer access to S-RAS® provides unparalleled transparency to their operation and access to all data on a real time basis
- Failure Prevention and Recovery processes reduce risk and increase facility availability
- Data Analytics report data in table, graph and visualization formats to understand the information and take informed actions to improve the operation’s efficiency and lower risk.
- Green Index® Improvement creates and deploys plans to systemically reduce electricity consumption, and provides industry reporting to track and share this information by our customers internally and externally.
- Soft Services. SWAFE offers a full range of Soft services - cleaning, carpentry, landscaping and more - to run your facility worry-free.